Shobna’s expertise is in high-value cross border arbitration, litigation, and insolvency. Shobna has an active counsel practice and appears before the Singapore High Court, Court of Appeal and International Arbitral Tribunals on complex commercial matters.
She often instructed by local and international law firms on matters concerning arbitration, banking and finance, evidence and procedure. Equity and trust, restitution and unjust enrichment, insolvency and restructuring, and professional negligence.
Shobna has significant experience in financial services disputes, joint venture matters, project finance disputes, technology matters, and cases involving the renewables sector. Her clients include global financial institutions, major private equity funds and multinationals across various industries and sectors. On the arbitration front, Shobna has led complex cross border matters under the SIAC, ICC, LCIA and HKIAC Rules. Shobna has also been involved in international law briefs including boundary disputes and advising clients on investment treaty claims (both for and against states).
Recent lead counsel experience includes:
- An appeal to the Court of Appeal successfully representing an international bank on novel and complex points of insolvency and arbitration law.
- An appeal to the Court of Appeal against SIA in a matter arising from a breach of an aircraft purchase agreement.
- Successfully representing a landlord creditor in objecting to a scheme of arrangement filed under the IRDA.
- An international arbitration representing an international bank under a derivatives agreement for a claim worth over USD250million.
- A complex banking dispute before the Singapore High Court involving conflict of law principles and intestacy laws.
- Acting for a major international bank in enforcement proceedings concerning a foreign court judgment worth over USD 300million.
- Instructed on a complex commercial appeal before the Court of Appeal concerning novel issues of trust and equity, as well as fiduciary duties
- Acting for claimants against a hospital and doctor in a case involving death of the patient concerned